A partner in the firm, Charles represents contractors, developers, homeowners, and other policyholders in insurance coverage litigation, construction defect litigation, and appeals.
In his practice, Charles assists policyholders in a wide array of tasks including spotting and analyzing coverage issues, preparing claims and proofs of loss, giving notice to insurers and tendering claims for benefits, negotiating settlements, bringing actions against insurers for breach of contract and bad faith, and working with policyholders to find unique and adaptive strategies to meet their coverage goals.
In addition to his coverage work, Charles represents business owners, developers, and general contractors in complex litigation, including litigation involving real estate development, environmental issues, and business disputes.
During law school, Charles served as an extern to the Honorable Ricardo Martinez, U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, and as a Law Clerk with the Washington State Attorney General’s Office, Government Operations Division.
Charles’s passion stems from the reality that businesses and people depend on insurance to protect their homes, families, and livelihoods. He is driven to see that insurers provide the protection their policyholders have bought and paid for.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Coverage Law
- Construction Defect Law
- Seattle University School of Law (J.D., 2006)
- Summa Cum Laude
- Associate Editor, Seattle University Law Review
- University of Washington (B.A., 1993)
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
Admitted to Practice
Washington State and Federal Courts
- 2016 – Selected for inclusion in Washington Rising Stars
- 2015 – Selected for inclusion in Washington Rising Stars
- 2014 – Selected for inclusion in Washington Rising Stars
- 2012 – Selected for inclusion in Washington Rising Stars
- 2011 – Selected for inclusion in Washington Rising Stars
- Bank of America v. Travelers Indemnity Co., et al. Represented Bank of America in a lawsuit seeking insurance coverage for an underlying environmental contamination lawsuit involving property held by the Bank in trust.
- GCG Associates LP v. American Casualty Company of Reading, PA Represented the owner/operator of a retirement community whose building had suffered severe property damage. The lawsuit sought first-party benefits from the property insurer to help pay for necessary repairs. The insurance company settled three days before trial.
- Windward Enterprises, LTD. v. Mutual of Enumclaw Ins. Co. Represented a condominium developer seeking defense fees and indemnity for an underlying construction defect lawsuit. Succeeded in convincing the insurance carriers to fund the defense and settlement despite significant coverage challenges.
Charles Davis News
About Our Firm
Harper | Hayes PLLC is a business litigation law firm, focusing on insurance coverage and construction defect disputes.
We represent policyholders in insurance coverage disputes, including cases involving property, casualty, professional liability, directors and officers, and pollution insurance.